Simple recipe for Gluten Free Sticky Buns
The recipe was inspired by a cartoon the kids were watching while I was making biscuits on Sunday morning. The cartoon talked about making sticky buns, which the Gluten Free twins have never had. Little B came into the kitchen and asked, “What are sticky buns?” my answer, “I’ll show you!” Since I had made a double batch of my biscuit recipe I used half for biscuits and half to make sticky buns.
I wanted to make them extra sticky so I loaded them with butter and sugar. First you line the pan with butter and brown sugar so when you flip the finished product you will have a crispy, sugary top!
This dough works best when combined with your hands. You can add a splash of milk if you feel the dough isn’t coming together enough. Once you roll out the dough cover it with the sugar/ butter/ cinnamon mixture. You can use your fingers or a spoon to spread it around.
Gently roll the dough up length wise. You can add gentle pressure to the dough as you roll it to keep it tight. Cut the dough into circles and fill your cake pan. If you have extra dough pieces you can fill in any gaps so the pan is full. There is no yeast so it will not rise very much.
- BISCUIT INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups GF flour blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp butter, cold
- 3/4 cup milk
- STICKY BUN ADD INS
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- MAKE THE BISCUIT DOUGH
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl shift together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture.
- Combine with you hands until course.
- Pour in milk and combine until dough forms. It will be sticky.
- MAKE THEM STICKY BUNS
- Take a 6" cake pan and add 2 tbsp of melted butter and 1 tbsp brown sugar
- In a bowl combine 4 tbsp melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon. Stir.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle around 1/4" thick
- Pour the butter/ sugar mixture onto the dough
- Roll the dough up, use gentle pressure to keep it together
- Use a knife to cut 2' sections of dough
- Place the dough standing up in the 6" cake pan, repeat until full
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes
- Turn over onto a serving plate
These were crazy good! There wasn’t a crumb leftover. The GF twins loved these and now they know what a sticky bun is. I have a feeling we will be making a lot of these.